14 points for management for the transformation of American industry
1. Create constancy of purpose toward improvement of product and service, with the aim to become competitive and to stay in business, and to provide jobs.
2. Adopt the new philosophy. We are in a new economic age. Western management must awaken to the challenge, must learn their responsibilities, and take on leadership for change
3. Cease dependence on inspection to achieve quality. Eliminate the need for inspection on a mass basis by building quality into the product in the first place.
4. End the practice of awarding business on the basis of price tag. Instead, minimize total cost. Move toward a single supplier for any one item, on a long-term relationship of loyalty and trust.
5. Improve constantly and forever the system of production and service, to improve quality and productivity, and thus decrease costs.
6. Institute training on the job.
7. Institute leadership. The aim of supervision should be to help people and machines and gadgets to do a better job. Supervision of management is in need of overhaul, as well as supervision of production workers.
8. Drive out fear, so that everyone may work effectively for the company.
9. Break down barriers between departments
10. Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and targets for the workforce asking for zero defects and new levels of productivity.
11a. Eliminate work standards (quotas)
11b. Eliminate management by objective. Eliminate management by numbers, numerical goals. Substitute leadership.
12a Remove barriers that rob the hourly worker os his right to pride of workmanship.
12b Remove barriers that rob people in management and in engineering the right to price of workmanship. This means, inter alia, abolishment of the annual or merit rating and management by objective.
13. Institute a vigorous program of education and self improvement.
14. Put everybody in the company to work to accomplish this transformation. The transformation is everybody’s job.